1.18.2009

Tiramisu

Okay...so I LOVE LOVE LOVE desserts and with that, I LOVE tiramisu. I found this recipe for a low-cal version and figured I'd give it a whirl at dinner with my parents tonight. I was a little anxious about the verdict because the reviews online were hit and miss. But, the verdict came in with a big thumbs up! Definitely a tasty dish and the one pkg of cream cheese (you'll read about that soon) was just right. So if you really love cream cheese, go for two...if you aren't the biggest fan, settle for one. A couple variation thoughts would be to use a flavored coffee, or even add some baileys or kaluha for a little "umph" and then you could always swap out the sugar for splenda and cut even more calories out. This is a steal for the calories. Enjoy!

yield: 12 servings

2 pkg lady fingers
2 Tbsp coffee (we don't drink coffee so I just made mine from instant)
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup boiling water
2 pkg fat free cream cheese: softened (I don't like cream cheese so I only used one)
1 tub light cool whip: thawed
1 tsp cocoa powder

1. lay one pkg of lady fingers on bottom of 9X13 baking dish
2. mix coffee and 1 Tbsp sugar together, brush (or spoon) half of coffee onto lady fingers in dish
3. beat cream cheese in large bowl until creamy, add 1/2 cup of sugar and mix well
4. stir cool whip into cream cheese mixture
5. spread half of the cream cheese mixture on top of the lady fingers in the dish
6. top with remaining lady fingers, coffee and the rest of the cream cheese mixture
7. sprinkle with cocoa
8. refrigerate at least 4 hours

Each serving is 150 calories, that is with the 2 packages of cream cheese. If you were to use one, it'd be like 125 calories per serving. So not a huge savings as far as calories go.


I ran up a few ww pts "scenarios" on this one...
The way I made it, 4.3 ww pts per serving.
Using Splenda instead of sugar, 3.75 ww pts per serving.
Exactly made per the recipe calls, 4.75 ww pts per serving.
Made using Splenda and fat-free Cool Whip, 3.4 ww pts per serving.
For nearly an entire extra point, I'd go ahead and switch to Spland and the ff Cool Whip next time. Yum!

No comments: