1.04.2009

Taco Salad

This is sort of one of those "no brainers" but I'm sharing it because it is a staple in our house...ESPECIALLY when we're trying to eat more healthy.

yield: ~4 salads

1 bag of salad (or shredded lettuce, I go for whatever is on sale)
1 can of black beans: drained and rinsed
1/4 cup shredded cheese
salsa
baked doritos (we get the bundle with the lunch size packs so those work perfectly): crushed
jalapenos
salsa
1 lb ground beef: browned (I season with s & p and then some onions)

1. place desired amount of salad/lettuce on plate
2. top with black beans, cheese, doritos, jalapenos
3. throw some beef on there
4. top with salsa
5. ENJOY

We figured that if you did a plate-sized salad like this, it'd be right about 300 calories. Where can you go wrong with a plate full of food for 300 calories?

Got any special taco salad tips that you use?? Make sure to share if you do!

Oh, sometimes - throw a can of corn in with your black beans...and a final "P.S." - if you don't love the salsa you're using, this could ruin the dish. Normally I love it but last night I was out of my normal salsa so I used another kind and while the salad was still tastey, it wasn't all it could be for me.

As this recipe goes, it'd be 10 ww pts per serving. If you switched from ground beef to the precooked Louis Rich chicken breast strips (southwestern flavor is perfect for this), then you drop down to 8.5 ww pts.

No comments: