1.25.2009

Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches...

Last night we had some friends over and I was uncertain of what to make. So after thinking about it for a while I had this idea of trying to create a shredded buffalo chicken sandwich. I figured, ehh - if it flops, we'll order pizza... This is a little spicy, so beware.

yield: ~ 8 sandwiches

1 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts: uncooked
1 can of reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can of cream of celery
1/3 cup of franks red hot
2 Tbsp flour
garlic salt to taste
onion powder to taste
pepper to taste
crockpot liner (which I had ran out of, grrr)
village hearth italian buns

1. place everything in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours
2. shred the chicken with two forks around the 4-6 hour mark

We served these on a village hearth bun (80 cals per bun). Mike was thinking it'd be better on a slice of bread...sort of as a hot beef sandwich would be served, I thought maybe on top of pasta. The issue with the bun was that it was so messy we all had to use a fork, but it tasted fantastic. My only complaint would be that I would want more of the franks red hot flavor without more heat...but this was fantastic. A huge success with our guests and us! Oh, I did have ranch out to be used as a condiment for the sandwich if one was interested. The entire sandwich with the bun and no ranch came to 170 calories. Top that. :)

A sandwich on it's own with just the meat and a bun, no cheese or ranch, 3 ww pts per serving.

No comments: