8.30.2009

Baked Turkey Sausage Ziti

Now, when it comes to ground turkey - I think some people either turn and run at the thought, or others dive in head first. I'm here to tell you that you don't have to do either. We're a family that enjoys turkey burgers and italian sausage ground turkey, but when it comes to plain ground turkey - we'll stick with beef. I know families that use only ground turkey and I know families that have never even tried it. With this recipe, I think you could turn a "non-believer" into a "believer" and if you think they might still be too stubborn to appreciate it - just don't tell them what it is and let them eat it first. Trust me, they won't know the difference in this dish!

yield: 6 servings (7 ww pts per serving)

1/2 lb ground turkey, italian sausage variety
28 ounce can of diced tomatoes (I used fresh ones I'd peeled and diced)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
italian seasoning
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
12 ounces whole wheat ziti (I used normal penne pasta we had in the pantry)
cooking spray

1. preheat oven to 350-degrees and spray 9x13 baking dish
2. brown sausage in pan, add onion and green pepper
3. while doing this, cook pasta as directed
4. once sausage is cooked, add tomatoes and italian seasoning to taste
5. let mixture simmer for 20-30 minutes
6. pour into baking dish
7. top with shredded cheese
8. bake 20-30 minutes

To be honest, this meal was MUCH better than I really thought it was going to be. All three of us LOVED it and gobbled up our servings without a second thought!

No comments: