10.05.2008

Homemade Heath Bars

This one is in the Cook Family Cookbook that my mom put together for Keri and I. It is definitely a staple in our house for all those good recipes that remind you of home. The other day I decided to make these heath bars...they were suppose to be for our friends on Saturday (I made them on Friday) but they didn't quite make them that far, lol!

yield: lots to share

foil
1 box of club crackers (I only ended up using 2 of the 3 sleeves of crackers, though)
2 sticks of butter (real butter, not margarine)
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of nuts of your choice (or not, I didn't use any)
1/2 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips

1. preheat over to 400-degrees
2. cover two cookie sheets with foil
3. line cookie sheets with club crackers (try not to leave any "open" areas)
4. melt butter in pot, add brown sugar and boil 3 minutes
5. pour butter mixture over crackers, use a spatula to even it out if needed
6. bake for 5 minutes (see my note below for a heads up)
7. once they come out of the oven, sprinkle choc chips over and let it sit for 5 minutes
8. once choc chips are melted, spread them out to coat the crackers
9. sprinkle nuts on top
10. once cooled, break apart and enjoy

I tried to bake both cookie sheets at once and the one on the bottom rack (closer to the coil in the oven) burned. So either take that one out at 3-4 minutes or bake them seperately.

No comments: